Motheo Operations, Ghanzi, BOTSWANA
The position is responsible for the monthly management and cost accounting function of the Motheo Copper Mine and administering the operations planning process.
The Senior Accountant- Operations and Planning position is responsible for the monthly management and cost accounting function of the Motheo Copper Mine and administering the operations planning process. Sandfire is currently in the process of designing, developing, and implementing Anaplan, a planning and analysis solution. This role is critical to the Motheo Operations Anaplan Implementation team in the near term and will be responsible for administering the quarterly operations planning process after the implementation.
Key Performance Areas
- Develop and maintain sound cost management processes and perform the necessary reviews to guarantee that detailed cost management supports the overall financial governance and reporting requirements.
- Coordinating capital management process, including assistance with preparation of Capital Acquisition Request Forms (CARF), and coordinating distribution approval and collection.
- Ensure projects contents and costs are within specified scope of work.
- Allocation of capital from budgets and CARF process and setup of capital projects in the Pronto ERP system.
- Capturing / upload physical data ((approved production statistics) in the Pronto ERP system.
- Preparing monthly management reports and working closely with cost-centre Managers to explain performance and assist with budget and forecast variance analysis.
- Play an integral role in the management and integrity of the financial internal control environment.
- Implement process and procedural improvements.
- Assist Operations team with ad-hoc cost/management accounting tasks.
- Understand the purpose and process of planning at Sandfire.
- Complete basic Anaplan (Sandfire’s planning solution) functional training.
- Establish strong relationships with internal operations and construction teams.
- Assist the Perth (Australia) based Anaplan implementation project team in-country to clear queries with the operations team to advance the design/build and maintenance of Anaplan.
- Assist with user acceptance testing (UAT) of the Anaplan solution.
- Assist with training of the Anaplan solution and the planning process.
- Actively manage and participate in administering FY24 Budget process (learn with the support of Perth personnel).
- Administer future quarterly and annual operations planning cycles.
- Collaborate regularly with the global Sandfire Planning and Analysis teams to ensure ongoing adherence and enhancement of the planning process.
- Experience in management and site accounting with exposure to operating costs; capital; and budgeting/forecasting.
- Working knowledge of non-financial and financial accounting principles and practices across a spectrum including development projects, mining operations, port activities (e.g. processing recovery, stockpile reconciliation, and reporting)
- Understanding and knowledge of financial and/or planning management systems (Anaplan, Pronto, Qlikview, Power BI, Excel)
- Project and time management across multiple tasks (challenging, complex and dynamic deliverables and tight timelines)
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Strong written and oral communication
- Confidence to challenge status quo, rationalise and suggest solutions.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to manage conflicting priorities.
- Autonomous, self-starter with initiative
- Quick learner
- “Can do,” team orientated attitude.
Qualification & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or finance.
- Professional accounting qualification (part or full qualification) is an added advantage.
- Experience in advanced (non-financial and financial) model development within systems and/or excel.
- Minimum of 5 years of practical experience in a mining environment.
- Previous experience in planning and analysis (particularly with multiple data sources and bottom-up plan build)